What is the Secret to a Great Salad?
The secret to a really delicious salad, is a really delicious dressing. If you want to eat a bowl full of healthy, low calorie vegetables, make your own dressing. You can’t beat home made dressing and if you make enough for a week, it’s worth taking the time. If you want to keep it vegan, here is my Vegan Ranch Dressing.
Once you have the ingredients, this dressing doesn’t take a moment to make. Just put everything in the food processor and blend. I like to make a mild dressing by scraping out the seeds and the membrane of the Jalapeño. If you like a bit of heat, don’t scrape out as much.
The rice and garbanzo beans were leftovers from another meal. With just a little preparation, you can eat home cooked, preservative free, delicious meals, that can be ready in a few minutes.
Plan on making a dish with rice and then make this salad a few days later. This is when having a menu plan for the week can really help you. Even if you only start with 2 healthy recipes per week, and the rest is take out, it’s a great start to changing eating patterns.
How to Save Time in the Kitchen
- Start a weekly menu plan. Just start with one recipe, and master that dish. Build on your plan every week. Eventually you will have some go-to dishes you can knock up in a heart beat.
- When you chop a vegetable, chop twice as much as you need and put the rest in a PVA free Container with snap lid in the fridge.
- When you can, make double, eg soup, rice, salad, chopped onion, peeled carrots.
- Make enough to freeze a few portions (things that freeze well) like soups, burgers.
- Make double baked potatoes and use the leftovers the next day for breakfast hash.
- When you make salad, make it giant, and eat it 3-4 times.
- Know where everything is in the kitchen and have a place for everything.
- Take your recipe to the store so you won’t forget anything.
- Make the same dishes often. If you find a healthy, low calorie dish, keep the recipe and make it again. The more you make it, the faster you will get.
- Master some one pot recipes, Garlic Shrimp with Asparagus, Eat All You Want Soup, Black Bean Soup, Easy Lemon Chicken with Artichokes.
- Clean as you go. It’s so much easier to prepare food if your area is free of clutter.
- 1 Cup Brown Rice - Or White
- 1 Can Garbanzo Beans - Or any bean - Optional
- ½ Cup Wild Rice - Optional
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion
- Yellow Pepper
- Green Pepper
- Ranch Dressing
- 1 Cup Greek Yoghurt
- ½ Cup Milk
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Dill
- Place dressing ingredients in food a food processor and gently blend. Chill in a mason jar.
- Place rice in a pan with 2 cups of water and a lid.
- Cook on a slow boil for 45 mins or until soft. Drain if necessary.
- Cool rice.
- Layer salad in bowl and top with dressing.
- Smoked Salmon
- Spring Lettuce mix with herbs
- Red Onion
- Sweet Corn
- Layer in a bowl and top with Jalapeño Ranch Dressing