Very Low Calorie
This giant portion is for one person and is only 160 calories without the olive oil. There are a minuscule 100 calories in a 4oz portion of Dover Sole, but you can use whatever fish you enjoy. From start to finish this will only take you 20 minutes to prepare. The only chopping to be done is the zucchini. I use my Vegetable spiral slicer.
If you want to serve a side vegetable, steam 1 cup of broccoli and add only 30 calories. If you pour a little of the consomme over your broccoli, you won’t need any butter.
It really looks like a special dish, but as you will see, it is very easy and fast to make. You can marinate the fish the night before, but with fish this thin, it absorbs all the flavors of the broth and it really doesn’t need it.
This is my all time favorite for low calorie, but still tantalizing and tasty. I would feel happy serving this at a dinner party or as a healthy treat any day of the week. Here is another Wild Cod recipe for you to try, Easy Poached Cod with Zucchini Spaghetti. It has chili, lime, parsley and baby chard.
You can add a wide variety of vegetables while you are poaching this fish. Peas, broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper, carrots, kale. They will infuse with the wine, lime and fish, resulting in a beautifully sophisticated flavor.
Tip of The Day
If you don’t like to half a half bottle of wine left open, make ice cubes from the unused wine, and then just pop a few cubes out when you need them. Just keep them in a ziplock in the freezer for your fish dishes or when you need a kick in your lemonade.
- 4 oz Dover Sole - Or fish of choice
- 1 Cup baby spinach - wilted ( only 10 calories)
- 1 Small Zucchini - Spiral or sliced ( only 20 calories)
- 6 Sprigs Cilantro - Heads for serving and stalks for broth
- ½ Cup Clam Juice - Optional
- 1 Lime Juiced - Plus a sprinkle of fine zest - Use extra Juice to taste when serving
- ½ Cup Spring Water
- ¼ Cup White Wine - optional (extra 30 calories)
- Smidgen of Fish base - If required
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Optional To Serve: Cilantro Leaves, Olive Oil, Baby Tomatoes, Lime Slices
- In a large pan, heat water, wine, cilantro stems, clam juice, lime juice and zest and seasoning. Add a little bouillon if you like a richer flavor.
- Boil and reduce to a slow simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fish, zucchini and vegetable of choice and poach until fish turns white (with Dover Sole, 3 minutes).
- Remove fish and vegetables and wilt spinach in the broth for just 1 minute.
- Arrange on a dish and pour strained broth over fish.
- Sprinkle with cilantro, baby toms and more lime juice. Olive oil optional.