Husband loves meatloaf. We have been on a strict diet of fruits, nuts, beans and veggies for 3 weeks. Now he is pumping iron and needs a protein fix. He has been doing so well, I wanted to reward him with something he loves, but make it healthy as well as delicious.
My girl friends (who are all amazing cooks) were talking about a meat loaf recipe at our last luncheon, so I decided to investigate. I have never tried meat loaf and the closest I have been to it, is a Nut Roast, that I cook every Christmas. A tasty vegan alternative to turkey that is full of pine nuts and walnuts and has a herbed stuffing in the middle. Turkey can be bland, so I made sure there was plenty of flavor by adding a stock cube and Worcestershire and horseradish sauce.
This recipe is full of veggies, healthy, very simple to make and husband loves it. I wanted to make balls, rather than a loaf for easy portion control, but the man wanted a loaf. Here is another turkey recipe that is full of veggies, Turkey Kale Burgers.
So here it is….
- 1 lb Ground Free Range Turkey
- 1 Tbs Oil or Butter
- ½ Cup Marinara Sauce
- ½ Cup Tomato Paste
- ½ Cup of Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
- ½ Onion - Chopped
- 1 Zucchini - Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper - Chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic - Crushed
- ¼ Cup Parsley - Fresh or ½ Dried
- ¼ Cup Fresh Sage - or 1Tbs Dried
- 1 Tbs Creamed Horseradish
- 2 Free Range Eggs - Beaten
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- (1 Bunch/Cup Chopped Spinach - Fresh/Frozen - Optional )
- 1 Cup Raw Cheese - Grated
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Saute Onions, garlic, red pepper and zucchini in the butter on medium heat.
- Take off heat. Add remaining ingredients, mix and transfer to a baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 425F for 45-55 minutes.