A deliciously fresh lime and spicy ginger summer, soup to help you detox and lose weight. So light and so full of flavor. You can really taste how healthy it is.
Here is a delightful soup, especially for all those of you who thought soups were just for the winter. It is light and fresh and full of all the wonderful foods that we should try to include in our diet as much as possible. Onions, garlic and ginger.
Hippocrates said “Let food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food.” Scientific research has shown that ginger has many therapeutic properties including it’s promotion of healthy sweating, which helps with detoxing. It also inhibits the formation of inflammatory compounds, and is an anti-inflammatory and has been shown to inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells. Add all this together, and it is quite wonderful for your gastro intestinal tract.
To make sure my husband is full after this detoxing lunch, I added a few table spoons of cooked Basmati rice and topped it with Sriracha. I keep some cooked rice in the fridge to add to the dishes that are light and low calorie and would leave him hungry. Men can eat almost double the calories of us ladies, so Adding a few whole grains can be beneficial.
- 2 Cloves Garlic - Crushed
- ½ Red Onion
- 2 Tbs Fresh Grated Ginger (1 inch)
- 1 bunch Green Onion
- 3 Baby Zucchini - Thinly Sliced
- 8 Cherry Tomaotes - Sliced
- 4 cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 3 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 Bay Leaf - Optional
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- ½ Cup Ground Turkey - Optional)
- 2 Tbs Cooked Basmati Rice - Optional
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- In a little melted ghee, gently saute the garlic and onion for a few minutes. Add the broth, bay, zucchini, ginger, lime juice and gently boil until the flavors infused together, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take out the bay leaf.
- Place soup in a bowl with the cooked rice (if you eat grains).
- Serve with thinly sliced green onion, sliced cherry tomatoes and Sriracha.