A deliciously filling and easy soup. Freezes well so make plenty.
Low calorie, full of protein, cholesterol lowering, super high fiber and virtually fat free. Split peas are also high in minerals and B vitamins and they help to stabilize blood sugar levels.
If you like that smokey ham flavor, add some Liquid Smoke. Or just add a few rashers of diced turkey bacon if you eat meat.
You could also throw everything into the crockpot on high for 4 hours and let it all just bubble away.
Add some diced potato or sweet potato for extra yumminess.
Depending on your food restrictions, Serve this with crusty French bread, pitta bread, Indian naan bread or some toasted sprouted rye bread. Or just grab some garlic bread, throw it in the oven and you won’t hear anyone complain about the healthiness factor.
A big fresh raw salad served on the side will go down a treat if you can manage it.
Here is our new 9 year old rescue Dog, Pepe, on the right. Who couldn’t love this guy??
- 2 Cups Dried Yellow Peas
- 3 Large Carrots - Peeled
- 1 Red Bell Pepper - Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic - Crushed
- 2 Sticks Celery - Whole
- 3 Vegetable Bouillon Cubes
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3-4 Cups Water
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Wash the split peas in a sieve.
- Brown the Onion and garlic on medium, in a little oil for 6 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and carrot. Cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook until peas are soft. 45 minutes.
- Blend if you prefer.