A creamy, Sweet, healthy, low calorie onion puree. Add it to soups, meats or vegetables for total deliciousness.
“What Tom foolery is she up to now” I hear you ask? What can be paleo and vegan if it is cream? Well today I really wanted to share with you a way to make your food taste really amazing, without the calories.
What is this low calorie, dairy free cream then? Well, it is simply roasted, pureed sweet onions. And they are so easy to make. Just pop the whole, unpeeled onion in the oven for 45 minutes at 400F. When they are as soft as a fluffy cloud, scrape out the flesh and puree in your blender with a little oil, freshly ground salt and a drop of lemon juice. I also roast a few garlic cloves with the onion, so I have some to throw in the puree and some for later.
The puree is sweet and surprisingly creamy tasting. You can serve this cream on top of your Thanksgiving mashed potato or use it in a soup to add tons of creamy flavor. You can use this anywhere you want some deliciousness. On top of meat or vegetables, in eggs or in a gravy. You can add it to turkey or chicken while you are roasting it. Go ahead and use it where ever you want and just watch the faces stuff more of your food into their mouths.
Make plenty and freeze some in ice cube trays and pop a couple out to use when you need them.
- 4 Large Sweet Onions - Whole
- Freshly ground Sea Salt
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- A splash of Gee or Coconut oil or Butter
- 1 Garlic Clove - Optional
- Heat the oven to 400F.
- Place onions in an oven proof dish with a little oil drizzled over them.
- Roast in the oven until skins are dark and the flesh is soft. 45 Minutes.
- Cut onions open and scrape flesh into a blender or hand blender container and puree with remaining ingredients.