Super healthy, low calorie Spinach and cauliflower packed breakfast bread, that can be topped with anything you like. Eggs, mushrooms, tomato, asparagus, Sausage or turkey bacon.
These little powerhouses of nutrition are a low calorie, dairy free version of my Cauliflower Flatbreads. Perfect for breakfast with nature’s perfect food, a free range egg.
Ditch The Calories
I see so many recipes that claim to be healthy and low calorie. A delicious vegetable recipe, packed with cheese or meat. Everything tastes good with these ingredients, but it defeats the object of low calorie and healthy. The trick is to find things that don’t contain the ingredients we all love but need to keep in balance. This recipe, I am happy to say, really does hit the spot. You can also use your favorite fresh herb to give it a totally ‘unique to you’ taste. Larissa, a Cavewoman fan, suggests using a butterfly cutter to shape these breads. Lovely idea!!
They are a vegetable (cauliflower and spinach) packed, Paleo alternative to bread (but not so good for sandwiches). You can make enough for a few meals and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze them for up to 3 months. They can also be used as gluten free pizza bases or topped with artichoke hearts and a marinara sauce, for a tasty, hot, low calorie lunch. They store very well and do not fall apart.
Preparation – KitchenAid Food Chopper
I have had so many people ask me about how to prepare the cauliflower. Well I use a little 3 Cup KitchenAid Food Chopper. It’s so small it fits into any space and it’s super easy to clean, unlike the regular size. I can chop an entire cauliflower in just a few minutes and it’s around $30. It’s so small and easy to grab. I have had mine for at least 7 years.
Once frozen you can reheat them by defrosting, and heating them in a skillet with a smidgen of coconut oil. They get really crispy on the edges if you leave them cooking for long enough.
If you want to try a month of healthy, low calorie, paleo meals yourself, try Paleo Restart. A cholesterol reducing, sugar free, gluten free, 30 day menu plan with clear recipes, directions and a shopping list. A great way to get started on a balanced, nutritious diet. You can also learn about my experiences by visiting my Paleo Restart Review.
- Touch of Coconut Oil – for saute
- 1 Cauliflower
- ½ Onion – Diced
- 1 Cup Spinach – Fresh or frozen
- ½ Cup Nuts – Ground (optional)
- 2-3 Free Range Eggs
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic – Crushed
- Any herb of choice, fresh or dry – Optional
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- In a food processor, chop the cauliflower until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- In a skillet, melt coconut oil and heat the cauliflower, garlic and onion until it browns slightly, 10 mins.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and add cauliflower mix and the remaining ingredients. Stir.
- Place parchment paper on a baking tray and spoon mixture into rounds (or use a butterfly cutter) onto the tray. Use a cookie cutter for a perfectly round shape.
- Bake at 350F for 15 minutes until browned.