We are off to Le Marche in Italy to meet my father and brother for a week. We are staying in a remote chateau, nestled in a valley full of olive trees and a view of the ocean. It has a lovely a big kitchen so we will be cooking up a storm.
I want to make something meaty for breakfast for the boys, but without the meat for me. I want something I can prepare the night before, so I can join in with all the morning chatter on the first day. I will also be putting cheese on top for the boys but leaving it off my cups. In other words, a meaty or vegetarian, low calorie or cheese rich breakfast that can be made in advance but eaten freshly cooked. Luckily, these breakfast cups can easily be adapted for fussy people like me.
These are such a fun way of serving your eggs and bacon in the morning. I like to have my egg dropped in an onion ring, rather than wrapped in bacon, so I will have my Gluten Free Italian Breakfast Cups.
You can also add your favorite herb or change the vegetables. Try Asparagus, corn, Sun dried tomato, Smoked salmon and capers, pesto, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, bell pepper…The list is endless.
Put turkey bacon into a muffin pan around the edge and on the bottom. No need to spray oil first.
- 4 Rashers Turkey bacon
- 1 Tomato - Sliced
- ¼ Onion - Sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic - Crushed
- Butternut Squash - or any vegetable
- 1 Free Range Egg
- 1 tsp Mustard
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Parsley to serve - Optional
- Cut the bacon lengthways and place in muffin tin.
- Put a little onion and tomato and garlic into cup.
- Spoon butternut squash into cup.
- Top with beaten egg and season.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, until golden.