You can easily make 4 times the recipe and have this rich tomato marinara sauce when ever you need it. Just pop it in some mason jars.
All the subtle flavors of the Mediterranean, fresh tomato, oregano, basil olive oil and a hint of garlic. Eat on vegetables, with pasta or pizza or just dip chunks of garlic bread into a big bowl and eat it with a fresh salad of spinach and ricotta chess and roasted nuts. Sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve with a full bodied oaky red wine and watch as everyone delights in the delicious simplicity of their feast.
- 16 oz can organic San Marzano tomatoes - Trader Joe's for the best price
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato puree
- ¼ cup olive oil ( or butter )
- 1-2 Tbs Capers
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano, for fresh use ¼ cup
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Gently heat all the marinara ingredients, except basil and oregano, in a pan for 20 minutes to an hour. You can add a knob of butter instead of olive oil or both.
- A little sweetness may need to be added to offset the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Take out the bay leaf and blend with a hand blender. Add the remaining herbs.
- Sprinkle basil on top to serve.