I have more zucchini in my garden, than I can eat, already, and it’s only May. I am always trying to think of ways of using them in my recipes. This is one way of getting lots of tasty vegetables for breakfast, whist keeping the calories down. You can also add a sprinkle of spinach or bell peppers.
This super low calorie frittata doesn’t have left over pasta in it. I wanted to keep the calories down. I am not sure if it really deserves to be called frittata, but omelette doesn’t work and it’s not scramble. If anyone can enlighten me, please leave a comment.
- Knob of Butter
- ½ Onion - Grated
- 1 Zucchini - Grated
- 10oz Mushrooms - Sliced
- 2 Chicken sausages (pork free casings are only 100 calories each) or vegetarian Sausages
- 2 Sliced Tomatoes
- 3 eggs + 1 Egg White ( I put the yolk on husbands half)
- ½ tsp Mustard
- Parsley - Optional
- Paprika Flakes - Optional
- Freshly ground Salt and Black Pepper
- Sauté the Onions and garlic in the melted butter 2 minutes. Add zucchini and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add Mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and add mustard and seasoning.
- Pour eggs into the skillet with the onions and sprinkle on parsley and paprika flakes.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for 10-25 minutes to brown the top.