I use gravy every time I make potatoes, not just when I make a roast. We love to have mashed potato, vegetables and gravy. I just add a little protein for the husband. It is also pretty low calorie compared to the usual fat filled meat dripping gravy .
You don’t even need the onion if you don’t feel like prepping it. The key is having a rich and flavorful stock. I always have ‘not chick’n’ stock cubes available to make everything more flavorful. Serve with Roast Chicken and vegetables for a low calorie, healthy dinner.
I make a vegan version of this gravy by using vegan butter. If you eat meat, you can add a finely diced rasher of turkey bacon to give it a smokey flavor. You can also use regular pre made chicken stock, but you will need to gently boil your gravy and reduced it down to get a rich flavor. Stock cubes will give a richer flavor every time.
- ½ Onion - Optional -Sliced
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tbs Corn Starch - Or Flour
- 1 Stock Cube and 1 Cup Water or Stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Melt butter in a pan and cook onions on high until they caramelize.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 10-20 minutes or until the flavor is good. Add more stock if required.