At my age (almost 50), I have to find low calorie alternatives for all the holiday treats we love to eat, or I am inclined to put on too much weight. I then spend weeks trying to loose the extra pounds, and then another holiday arrives. There are just some things that I don’t ever eat, and deep fried foods is one of them.
But sometimes, only crispy, flavorful, crunchy curly fries will do. So here is my virtually oil free, baked version, made with a Spiral Vegetable Slicer. You can prepare so many different vegetables with it. Zucchini spirals are the best. I use this to make zucchini spaghetti, vegetables for soups and stir fries, and best of all, these low calorie curly fries. For another crispy, crunchy flavorful potato dish, try these Rosemary Roasted Garlic Potato Wedges.
This recipe is only 117 calories or 234 if you want to eat the entire plate. Add on another 15 if you have Ketchup. In England we would sprinkle malt vinegar on our chips. You can season these with anything you like. I also put a sliced onion in with the potato and it was heavenly. Or if you are really brave you can have a Pickled Onion on the side.
- 12oz of Potato - Spiralized
- Spray of oil or ½ tsp Oil
- Seasoning - I used taco blend and a sprinkle of dill
- Freshly Ground Sea salt and Black Pepper
- Peel potato and cut into spirlals.
- Add remaining ingredients and place on a baking tray.
- Bake at 400F for 15-25 minutes Depending on desired crunch factor.