If you want a healthy but tasty alternative to the highly processed burgers you buy in the store, here is a delicious recipe for you.
My daughter came home the other day with 2 vegan, gluten free, nut free, low calorie burgers from Jimbo’s. They were $6 for 2!!. I read the ingredients and decided to go into business for myself.
I followed the recipe on the package and came up with these crispy numbers. They were very simple and held together without any fuss what so ever. I often want something protein and easy to go with a lunch salad and my Pickled Beets, and here we have it. Make double and then freeze a batch and have them ready made every time.
- 2 Cups Cooked Quinoa - Un-rinsed so it stays gloopy
- Knob of Butter or Olive Oil - For Saute
- 1 Sweet Onion - Diced
- 1 Sweet Potato - Grated
- 1 Tbs Coconut Oil - Melted
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- Herb of Choice
- Freshly Ground Salt and Pepper
- Spray of Oil for Cooking
- Heat 1½ Cups water in a pan and put 1 cup of Quinoa into the water.
- Leave to sit for 15-20 minutes with heat off and lid on.
- Sauté the Onion, garlic and potato in a little butter or olive oil.
- Put all the ingredients, including coconut oil into a bowl, mix, and form into patties.
- Cook in the oil on medium heat until golden on each side ( about 4- 5 minutes ). Use a non stick pan if you have one.
- To freeze, put a layer of parchment paper in between each burger so they don't stick together.