Paleo or Not?
Although potatoes are not strictly paleo, there have been many indications that paleolithic man did eat roots and tubors. Potatoes are a whole food, and they do not require much processing. This dish has a limited amount of potato, and they take the place of highly processed, fat filled pastry. Although I rarely serve potato, here’s a burger recipe with potato, Salmon and Spinach Cauliflower Potato Burgers.
Flavors of the world
For an occasional indulgence, this is a tasty dish that can be given an Italian twist (basil, oregano, olive oil, anchovies) or a Mexican flavor (cumin, oregano, garlic, chili) or even a traditional British flare (fish and chips, spotted dick). Here is another flavor packed egg recipe, Paleo Cauliflower and Spinach Breakfast Bread.
It is perfect for taking to a BBQ or party. It is easy to transport, it is great cold and can be made to look very artistic with very little skill.
You can substitute any vegetable for your favorite (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, leeks, roasted eggplant, artichoke hearts). Serve with a big fresh salad or steamed broccoli and cauliflower.
The crispy crunchyness of the potato crust, makes this gluten free pie shell seem very much like pastry, without the fat.
- Large Potatoes - Peeled and Sliced and browned
- oil to brown (Coconut or canola)
- 4 Free Range Eggs
- 1 Red Onion - Diced
- 1 Red Bell pepper - Optional
- 1 Bunch Asparagus Spears or Zucchini Slices
- ¼ Cup Spinach - Frozen or Fresh - Optional
- 2-4 Cloves Garlic - Crushed
- ¼ Cup Fresh Basil Leaves or 1 Tbs Pesto
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese (optional for the non paleo)
- 2 Tomatoes - Sliced
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet or non stick pan and brown sliced potato. 5-8 minutes per side.
- Place them inside a round oven proof dish, instead of pastry. Bottom first then the sides.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and add diced onion, bell pepper, garlic and seasoning. Mix.
- Pour egg mix onto potato and add, sliced zucchini, Sliced tomato and cover with Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 for 25-25 minutes until browned.