Go for it!
If I am going to make something that is higher calorie and rich, I go for it and put all the good stuff into it. Heavy cream, milk, butter, cheese, and I make it a special treat, only to be eaten occasionally.
36 Hour Fasting
We have been training for our mountain climbing challenge for 6 months, so having filling rich meals tends to make us feel unwell now. After indulging in something rich, we get tired and feel heavy and we doesn’t feel good. If you are interested in cleanses, try my 3 Day Detox Menu.
Every Thursday we fast from 7.30pm, until Sat morning at 7.30am. There is plenty of research now, proving the many benefits of fasting, so we have turned it into part of our routine. It also saves 1200 calories per week and shrinks your stomach, making less food satisfy you.
We have another camping trip planned with some friends, taking us up to 8000 ft. It can get quite cool at night, so I wanted a warming soup to sip by the fire. I also wanted to make something that didn’t ruin our low calorie, healthy eating plan, but was extra special so we could all feel like we had indulged. I do have an extra rich and creamy Wild Salmon Chowder, for those very special dinners.
Hold the Cream
This recipe has just a small splash of half and half just to give it the creamy color. Less than 10 calories per bowl worth!! To my great surprise, the lack of cream, did not compromise the flavor. It was every bit as delicious as the cream loaded version, and our friend said “This is the best chowder I have ever eaten!!”
You can use flour, or cornflour, but potato starch is best in terms of flavor and it is not grainy like flour can be.
- 3 Slices Free Range, Organic Turkey Bacon
- 1 Sweet Onion - Diced
- 2 Sticks Celery - Diced
- 2 Carrots - Peeled & Diced
- ½ Cup Corn Kernels
- 1 Cup Wild Cod Pieces -
- 3 Cloves Garlic - Crushed
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Fresh or Dried Parsley & Thyme
- 1 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs Potato Starch
- 2 Bottles Clam juice or Fish Stock
- ¼ Cup Half and Half - Optional
- 2-3 Vegetable Stock Cubes
- 6-8 Cups Organic Potatoes - Peeled & Diced
- Pinch Nutmeg
- 2 Cans Chopped Clams &
- Juice Fresh Parsley, for garnish
- Brown bacon is a large pan. Then add onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cod) and cook until potatoes are soft and soup is thick. 45-55 minutes.
- Cook cod in a little butter and lemon juice.
- Add to soup just before serving.