Since this post was so popular, I thought I would repost it for all the recent followers of Going Cavewoman. So many of us are going to parties throughout the year. This is a wonderful party dish if you want to take something low calorie, healthy and gluten free for yourself.
It’s hard to stay on track, so take something that is tempting, but it won’t blow your diet.
For my vegan version check out my Paleo Crunchy Cauliflower.
Low Calorie Comfort Food
This is a crunchy comfort food, made into a diet dish. I kept the calories to a minimum, so there is no cheese and they are baked, not deep fried. Just a little oil, lightly sprayed just before cooking (will brown without the spray).
Easy To Make
It was so easy to make and took less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
You could also pre-bake these for an appetizer for a dinner party and then just reheat before serving. Make enough for another snack by doubling the recipe and keeping in an airtight container.
If you want to get creative, you can use broccoli or even thick stem asparagus. Here is my Low Calorie Crunchy Asparagus with Ranch Dip recipe.
If you like cauliflower, you will love this dish. I used horseradish in the marinara dip, and mustard in the egg coating. You can use anything you like to make this tasty, just the way you like it. Hot sauce, cayenne pepper, fresh basil, you can really go to town because cauliflower can be bland. Husband suggested tomato ketchup with horseradish instead of marinara. He also wants to wear his baseball cap backwards. Need I say more?
One thing I would take with me to my desert island is my mini Food Processor. It is a small 3 cup version, so it can pop int0 a draw and save 0n counter space. I make a lot of chopped cauliflower to add to various dishes, so it’s very handy for saving time.
- ½ Head of Cauliflower Florets (4 cups)
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp Taco Seasoning ( or your favorite blend )
- 2 Free Range Eggs - Beaten
- 1 Tsp Mustard
- Oil Spray - Optional
- ½ cup Marinara
- 1 Tbs Creamed Horseradish
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Break cauliflower into florets.
- Beat 2 eggs into a bowl and add 1 tsp mustard.
- In a bowl with the breadcrumbs, add 1 tsp taco mix and seasoning.
- Dip cauliflower into egg and then drop into breadcrumbs and coat.
- Place on baking sheet covered in parchment paper, spray with a little oil and bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes. Turn half way through.
- Heat marinara sauce and add the horseradish (or any herb/ seasoning mix you like) and serve immediately.