Wow. This bisque is amazing. It’s perfect for a special occasion when you want to impress, or for a weekend treat. Rich and decadent, with cream and brandy, but so low calorie, you can eat it anytime. Only takes 40 minutes to make. Yummy scrummy.
My favorite soup is a creamy bisque. It’s my go to in a restaurant. Bisque is a french dish made from any variety of seafoods including lobster, shrimp, crab and crayfish and it has cream in it. Authentic bisques use the crustaceous shell to extract extra flavor and it is also ground the into a fine powder to help with thickening. Bisques are also thickened with rice, but I like to use organic potato, rather than a grain. You can of course substitute rice for potato if you prefer.
It Ain’t Over ‘Till the Fat Lady Sings
Since we moved to Connecticut, I have been watching my husbands university college basketball team. Go Huskies!! I don’t usually watch basketball, and in England we call it netball, and only the girls play it.
I made this bisque while the Uconn game was on. OMG What an exciting game. My husband always gives up before the end of the game if he thinks his team will lose, and I always say, “it ain’t over ’till the fat lady sings”. It’s my mantra. Must be the English blood.
Ok, it was a draw and there had been 3 overtimes and we were on the edge of our seat. Who’d have thought sport could be so much fun? The other team scored in the last .08 of a second. They now had a 99.99% chance of winning. My husband left the room crying in pain because nothing can happen with less than a second on the clock. But what happened? The fat lady sang.
The winning goal was a half court shot (That means it was thrown from way far away from the basket) and the bell rang before the ball even hit the basket. So just remember. Don’t give up and really… It ain’t over ’till the fat lady sings.
I make Lobster Bisque at Christmas, but the recipe is time consuming and takes a lot of work. I wanted to give you an easy alternative, so I decided to give you this crab chipotle bisque recipe with similar ingredients.
Even though this recipe has 1/2 cup of cream, and it tastes really rich, the soup is still low calorie. There are 207 calories in half a cup of cream and this soup serves 4. So there are about 50 calories of cream per bowl. The brandy has 60 calories and the crab has less than 50 calories. So each bowl is only around 180 calories. The vegetables and stock are super low calorie, so you can eat this even if you are trying to lose weight.
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Onion - Roughly Chopped
- 2 large Carrots - Sliced
- 2 Sticks Celery - Whole
- 2 Cups Potatoes 3 Large (to thicken) - Peeled and Chopped
- Pinch Chipotle Pepper
- Garlic Paste - To Taste (1 Tbs) or 2 Crushed Cloves
- ½ Cup Tbsp Brandy
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 3 Cups Shellfish Stock, Fish Stock or Clam Juice
- ½ Lime - Juiced
- ½ Cup Cream
- 8oz Blue Crab
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley
- Freshly Ground Sea Salt and Black pepper
- Melt the ghee on med/low in a pan and gently saute the onion, garlic and carrot for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Add the celery stalks, potatoes, chipotle pepper, brandy, bay, stock, lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium for 20 minutes, until the potato is soft.
- Take out the Bay leaf.
- Blend with a hand wand or in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the cream and ¾ of the crab. Gently stir trying not to break up the crab.
- Cook gently for a few minutes until the soup is to the desired temperature.
- Serve with the remaining crab and parsley on top.