This is a very filling, earthy, low calorie soup that is packed with flavor. This soup is reminiscent of Latin American cuisine, spicy and robust, with garlic tomato and a mild chili pepper. Just throw it in the pot and you have a thick, healthy tasty meal in a few hours. I have a tangy, special yogurt sauce that I prepare, taking the soup from delicious to gourmet. Good enough for serving to Che Guevara.
Here is another low calorie soup for you to try, Soup Secrets and Skinny Shallot Soup.
Black beans are also very nutritious. They are high in fiber, protein and contain Omega 3 fatty acids, anti-oxidants, manganese, vitamin B1, phosphorus and iron. A great alternative to meat and they are very low on the glycemic index (blood sugars remain stable after eating them).
- I Cup Black Beans
- 1 (28oz) Large Can Tomatoes
- 4-6 Cups Water - Depending on required thicknessc
- 1 Onion - Chopped
- 1 Red Bell pepper - Sliced
- 6 Cloves Garlic - Whole
- 1 Tbs not Chicken Bouillon Paste or 2 cubes (or regular Chicken stock )
- 3 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tbs Oregano
- 1Tbs Basil
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 Poblano Chili's - Chopped and seeded
- To garnish
- Greek yogurt ( Try blending with chipotle chili, garlic, cilantro, a squeeze of lime, fresh parsley and dill, Smoked Paprika, jalapeño seeded and salt and pepper)
- Sweet Onion- Chopped
- Cheese - Grated, Optional
- Put all ingredients in the Crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Use a hand wand and blend to thickness required (or just leave chunky).
- Serve with chopped onion and a spoon of yogurt topping (and grated cheese if desired).