A simple but highly nutritious and totally delicious, healthy, natural breakfast. Eat every morning and get all your fruits and vegetables in one meal.
This breakfast will start your day with 2-3 servings of the 5 fruits and veggies you need per day.
What is one serving?
1 small apple, 1 banana, 1 large orange, 1/2 cup of raw fruits or vegetables, 1/2 cup berries, one small bell pepper, 1 cup of leafy veg is one serving.
It’s fairly easy to get your full dose of vegetables if you have a couple of go-to dishes that you eat most days. This is one of mine. I eat this combination, often as a dessert, with varying nuts and fruits, on a daily basis.
Goji Berries and Nuts
The Goji berries are a recent addition but I love how chewy they are, and of course as with all of the ingredients, they are very high in anti-oxidants. Nuts are an amazingly healthy addition to your diet. I have talked about the health benefits before, but I can’t emphasize enough what powerhouses of nutrition they are. Full of protein, fiber, Vitamin B2 and E, anti-oxidants and good healthy cholesterol lowering fats. They lower your risk of diabetes, gall stones, coronary heart disease and cardio vascular disease and studies have shown they can even reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Raw or Roasted
I eat them raw, but if you have to roast them, keep the temperature at 170F for 15-20 minutes to maintain the healthy fats. The natural yogurt with it’s probiotics, encourages beneficial bacteria that supports your digestive health. You can also vary the fruits. You can use strawberries but there were no organic available and berries are the worst fruit to eat if they are not organic. If you can peel the fruit, like bananas or watermelon you can be less concerned, but berries, root vegetables and tomatoes, always try to go organic .
- Serves 2
- 1 Banana 1 Apple - chopped and cored
- ½ cup Blueberries
- 1 Orange or 2-3 Clementines
- 1 Nectarine
- Handful of walnuts and cashews
- ¼ Cup Goji Berries Splash of Lemon or Lime - Prevents browning of apples
- ½ Cup Yogurt
- Plum puree to sweeten -
- Take 5 very ripe plumbs and gently heat them on medium, in a pan with a little water 5 mins.
- Take out the pit and puree in a blender. Use this to naturally sweeten any dish.
- Keep a glass airtight container, full of washed and chopped fruits, in the fridge, ready to go.
- Put the banana in at the last minute when you serve the fruit. Top with yogurt, plum puree and nuts.