When I was growing up in England, the only day we ever had pancakes, was on Shrove Tuesday. This is the day preceding Lent, and pancakes are prepared to use up rich foods such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before fasting for the 40 days of Lent. I don’t recall anyone actually fasting, especially not for 40 days, but the tradition of making pancakes lives on.
I never make flour pancakes, and I never will. Seems like it’s just a big pile of stodge and burnt flavor tree sap syrup, full of calories and very little nutrition. But when I saw this recipe on Just as Delish, I had to try it.
I have to say it is just a delish as any pancake I have ever eaten, and it’s gluten free, low calorie and one of the main ingredients, is a fruit!! Just 150 calories per serving, this makes a wonderful breakfast or dessert. Here is another low calorie, healthy sweet breakfast recipe, Crock Pot Apple Pie Oatmeal.
Tip: Don’t cut the banana on a board on which you have just crushed garlic. It will not add a delicious taste to these pancakes.
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 1 Ripe Banana
- A few Organic Raw Cacao Nibs or Chocolate Chips - Optional
- Mash the banana in a bowl.
- Add eggs and whisk.
- Heat a non stick pan with a little coconut oil on medium high.
- When hot, drop a small amount of pancake mix into pan. Pancake should have a 3 inch diameter.
- Drop a few nibs or chips onto pancake mix.
- Turn after a minute or two, when mix has set on bottom.
- Cook the other side for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.